Aussie Expat Working Overseas: A Guide to Australian Taxation

Working abroad can be a great way to experience new cultures, meet new people, and expand your horizons. However, it can also be a bit complicated, especially when it comes to taxes.

As an Australian expat, you are still liable to pay Australian tax on your worldwide income, regardless of where you live. This can be complicated, especially if you are working in a country with a different tax system.

From understanding residency rules and determining taxable income to exploring tax treaties and claiming deductions, this guide equips you with the knowledge needed to navigate the complexities of Australian taxation while living and working overseas.

What is Taxable Income?

Taxable income refers to the portion of your total income that is subject to taxation. It is calculated by subtracting allowable deductions from your total income. Allowable deductions are expenses or costs that you can deduct from your income, as permitted by tax laws, to reduce the amount of income that is subject to tax.

Taxable income encompasses various sources of income, including but not limited to:

  • Employment Income: This includes wages, salaries, tips, bonuses, commissions, and any other compensation received from your employment.
  • Investment Income: Income generated from investments such as interest earned on savings accounts, dividends received from stocks or mutual funds, capital gains from the sale of assets, and rental income from properties.
  • Business Income: If you are self-employed or operate a business, the profits you earn from your business activities are considered taxable income.
  • Pension and Retirement Income: Retirement benefits, pensions, annuities, and other forms of retirement income are generally subject to taxation.

What are the Australian Tax Rates?

Australian tax rates are progressive, which means that the higher your income, the higher your tax rate. The current tax rates are as follows:

Income Range Tax Rate
Up to $18,200
$18,201 - $45,000
Content 4
$45,001 - $120,000
$120,001 - $180,000
Over $180,000

Please note that the Medicare Levy is not included in the table. Additionally, these tax rates are based on information available up until September 2021.

It’s advisable to verify the current rates with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or consult a tax professional for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Australian Taxation: What are the Deductions on Income?

Here are some common deductions that you may be eligible to claim against your taxable income in Australia:

  • Work-Related Expenses: You can claim deductions for expenses that are directly related to your work, such as:
    • Travel Expenses: This includes accommodation, meals, and transport costs incurred while traveling for work purposes.
    • Vehicle Expenses: If you use your personal vehicle for work-related travel, you may be able to claim deductions for fuel, maintenance, and depreciation.
    • Home Office Expenses: If you work from home, you can claim a portion of your home office expenses, such as utilities, internet, and office supplies.
    • Tools and Equipment: Expenses for tools, equipment, and other work-related items can be claimed as deductions if they are necessary for your job.
  • Self-Education Expenses: If you undertake education or training courses to improve your skills and knowledge in your current occupation, you may be able to claim deductions for tuition fees, textbooks, and other related expenses.
  • Charitable Donations: Donations made to registered charitable organisations can be claimed as deductions, provided they meet certain criteria and are made to eligible deductible gift recipients.
  • Medical Expenses: You can claim deductions for out-of-pocket medical expenses that exceed the Medicare levy threshold, including doctor visits, prescription medications, and medical treatments not covered by private health insurance.
  • Superannuation Contributions: You may be eligible to claim deductions for personal contributions made to your superannuation (retirement savings) account, up to the concessional contributions cap.

How to Report Your Income and Expenses?

If you are an Australian expat, you are required to lodge a tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) each year. To report your income and expenses as an Australian expat, follow these steps:

  • Obtain the Necessary Forms: You can download the appropriate tax return form from the ATO website or request a paper form to be sent to you.
  • Declare Your Worldwide Income: On the tax return form, you will need to provide details of all your income earned globally during the financial year. This includes income from employment, investments, rental properties, and any other sources.
  • Declare Your Deductions: List all eligible deductions you want to claim on your tax return. Ensure you have the necessary documentation and receipts to support your deductions. Be sure to accurately calculate and report your deductible expenses within the limits set by the ATO.
  • Lodge Your Tax Return: Once you have completed the tax return form, you can lodge it with the ATO. You have several options for lodging:
    • Online: You can lodge your tax return electronically using the ATO’s online services, such as myTax or a registered tax agent’s online portal.
    • Mail: If you prefer a paper lodgement, you can mail your completed tax return form to the ATO.
    • Telephone: In some cases, you may be eligible to lodge your tax return over the phone by calling the ATO.
  • Pay Any Tax Owed: After lodging your tax return, the ATO will assess your tax liability. If you owe tax, you will need to make the payment by the due date. The ATO provides various payment options, including online payment systems, direct debit, and credit card payments.

Getting Help With Your Taxes

If you need help with your taxes, you can contact the ATO for assistance. The ATO has a number of resources available to help you, including:

  • Tax Guides: The ATO has a number of tax guides available online, which can help you understand the Australian tax system.
  • Tax Calculators: The ATO has a number of tax calculators available online, which can help you calculate your tax liability.
  • Tax Helpline: The ATO has a tax helpline that you can call for assistance.

Seek Expert Advice for Personalised Solutions

If you’re an expat working overseas, managing your tax obligations can be a challenge. But by understanding your status, reporting your foreign income correctly, and making the right moves with superannuation, you can avoid potential pitfalls. Always consult a professional for personalised advice on your tax situation.

Are you an expat looking for tailored tax advice? Contact our expert team at Odin Tax for personalised advice on managing your overseas tax obligations.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are working in a country with a different tax system, you may be able to claim a foreign tax credit against your Australian tax liability. This means that you can offset the tax that you have paid in the foreign country against the tax that you owe to Australia.

The ATO has a number of resources available to help you calculate your tax liability. You can also contact the ATO for assistance.

If you are struggling to pay your taxes, the ATO may be able to provide you with financial assistance. You can contact the ATO for more information.

The tax year in Australia runs from July 1 to June 30.

If you’re a resident, you’re taxed on worldwide income. If you’re a foreign resident, you’re taxed only on Australian-sourced income.

Yes, it’s possible. However, Australia has tax treaties with numerous countries to prevent double taxation.

You can continue to contribute to your super fund while working overseas, or you may choose to contribute to a retirement plan in your host country.

Odin tax logo

Lodge your tax return today

Odin Tax helps you lodge your Australian tax returns from overseas

Lodge Now