Tax Implications When Moving To Canada From Australia

Thinking about taking the plunge and moving to Canada from Australia? Besides savouring poutine and enjoying breathtaking landscapes, there’s another essential aspect you need to understand: tax regulations

With different tax systems and unique challenges that come with being an expat, it’s vital to ensure you’re well-prepared for your financial journey in the Great White North.

The Canadian Tax System - An Overview (It's Not as Scary as You Think!)

Canada’s taxation system might seem intimidating initially. However, it’s quite structured once you get the hang of it. Unlike the Australian taxation system, Canada employs a progressive tax rate system. In 2023, tax rates range from 15% on the first $49,020 of taxable income to 33% on amounts above $216,511.

For those interested in the nitty-gritty, here’s a breakdown of Canada’s tax rates in 2022:

  • 15% on the first $49,020 of taxable income
  • 20.5% on the next $49,020
  • 26% on the next $53,939
  • 29% on the next $64,533
  • 33% on the portion over $216,511

To Stay or Not to Stay: What is Canada's Tax Impact for Temporary and Permanent Residents

The amount of tax you pay in Canada largely depends on your residence status. If you’re planning to stay in Canada temporarily or as a permanent resident, understanding your tax obligations can be a significant game-changer.

Temporary Residents

As a temporary resident, you’re taxed only on income earned within Canada. However, you need to be wary of the Canadian tax withholding system. For non-resident workers, employers hold back 15% of their pay as part of this system. This amount is then remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and acts as an advance on your tax bill.

Permanent Residents

Permanent residents are taxed on their worldwide income. This means if you’re moving to Canada from Australia permanently, any income you earn outside Canada is subject to Canadian tax laws. It is essential to use an income tax in Canada for foreigners calculator to determine your tax obligations.

Unraveling the Real Deal: Your Take Home Pay in Canada

Understanding your potential take-home pay can make all the difference. Let’s say you’re an expat in Montreal. You’ve secured a job paying $75,000 annually.

Here’s a rough estimation of what your take-home pay could look like:

  • Gross Income: $75,000
  • Federal Tax: -$13,040.65 (Approximately based on the 2022 tax brackets)
  • Quebec Provincial Tax: -$17,813.05 (Approximately based on the 2022 tax rates)
  • Total Tax: -$30,853.7
  • Net Income (Take Home Pay): $44,146.3

Checklist for Moving to Canada from Australia - A Tax Perspective

Decide on Your Residence Status: The first step is to decide whether you’ll be a temporary or permanent resident. This decision significantly impacts your tax obligations.

  • Understand the Tax System: Familiarize yourself with the Canadian tax system, tax rates, and how the Canadian tax withholding works.
  • Check for Tax Treaties: Check if there’s a tax treaty between Canada and Australia. This treaty can prevent double taxation and reduce tax withholding rates.
  • Determine Your Tax Obligations: Use a moving to Canada from Australia tax calculator to help estimate your tax obligations based on your income and residency status.

Lodge Your Taxes With Odin Taxes

Moving to Canada from Australia presents unique tax challenges. However, with the right information and professional guidance, you can successfully navigate the Canadian tax landscape. Remember, tax planning is just as crucial as packing your suitcase. It’s a critical step that guarantees a smooth financial transition.

Consult with our tax advisors at Odin Tax who are familiar with both Australian and Canadian tax laws. Our professional guidance can help you optimise your tax situation and potentially save thousands of dollars.

Contact our expert tax advisors today!

Yes, if you earn income in Canada or become a permanent resident, you’re obligated to pay taxes.

The process can be complex, mainly due to differences in tax laws and regulations. However, with the right guidance and preparation, it can be a smooth transition.

The cost varies depending on numerous factors, such as the moving company’s fees, visa application fees, and living costs in Canada.

While it depends on individual circumstances, generally, Canadian tax rates can be higher than in Australia due to its progressive tax system.

Odin tax logo

Lodge your tax return today

Odin Tax helps you lodge your Australian tax returns from overseas

Lodge Now